Friday, 26 June 2015

Mustering Cattle at Hillside Station

Well readers we're about half way through our outback cattle station experience. During our time here we've been fortunate to take part in two musters or roundups as you call them in the states. Most cattle stations do this by bike or chopper but at Hillside the preferred method is on horse back. On the second of our two musters we called in a chopper because we had a road train coming in that day to pick up the cattle and Alan wanted it done fast but the first muster was done on horse back with help from one 4-wheeler and the Toyota.



A map of Hillside that Ellen and I had to jury rig to get on the computer. I think I might be a little off on my paddock naming too but the geography is more or less correct. 








For a muster at Hillside the whole family gets involved. Everybody gets on horseback except Pete who usually rides the 4-wheeler and Joan who was driving the Toyota that particular day.Put all that together with the dogs and you have a pretty large company working for the day. All the kids came along since the first muster we did was more of a relaxed affair. We also had some neighbors over to join in the fun and they brought their kids as well. Brooke and Alan saw fit to give Ellen a horse for the event but they said they didn't have one for me. You might think I would have been put out by this but I'm actually not incredibly in for horseback riding and was perfectly happy to observe from the Toyota and 4-wheeler when I could pry Pete off it. For this reason, I was hoping to get Ellen to write this blog but she deferred to me saying she would add content as she saw fit. Our dear Ellen is nothing if not shy :)

Ellen and Oakey 


So on a Sunday morning we all set out into the paddock for the muster. I must admit that I was very apprehensive about the whole affair. I haven't ever seen Ellen ride a horse and I know nothing of her skill so, as her husband, I was naturally concerned for her safety. You may laugh at this but since she won't worry about herself I consider it my job to do so. I was told to keep a good distance from the horses by Brooke. I got the distinct feeling that this was more about preserving that ambiance than about spooking the horses but what ever the reason I was happy to oblige. As we got under way we found some stray cows in the Hillside paddock so we moved them into the Cameron Creek paddock to join them up with the rest of the herd. Moving these cows turned out to be the beginning of the action for the day. One of them decided that she had had enough of us and ran mad. Alan had to chase her down on his horse which was no small feat. Generally he seemed to be trying to get her to gallop toward the gate by keeping on the outside of her. The trick was that she didn't want to go through the gate so Alan had to run her until she got tired of these antics and walked through. We ran them all down to the gate to the Corella Bore paddock then turned West to get the main herd.

We found the herd by going up to the troughs on the western side of the Cameron Creek paddock. That was when the real work began. The riders rounded up all the cattle and started pushing them to the East toward the Corella Bore paddock. Brooke was in front leading the herd while Ellen and the kids kept them together on the sides. Pete, Joan, and myself brought up the rear with the dogs doing most of the work. I had never thought about it before but the whole process is done very slowly. The musterers can't go faster than walking pace for the cattle. This makes horses rather ideal for the job. A horse and cow walk at around the same pace, furthermore, a horse doesn't have a clutch begging for constant attention. Sitting in the Toyota I reflected that it seemed natural that mustering would be done with horses. I would reflect on this more later but for now let's get back to the action, it's about to get interesting.

Following the Herd


As we pushed the cattle East along the road we came to Cameron Creek. I know my poorly drawn map doesn't have Cameron Creek meeting up with the road but it does so bear with me. Once we hit the creek the cows decided to do things their way and took off. One of them went barreling up the creek and Alan, who was riding out to keep such beasts from escaping, took off after it. They were going flat out when they hit a soft spot in the creek and bit the dust. Alan is more or less indestructible and none of us were the wiser until that evening when he said he'd been thrown.

In any case, we got the heard back under control and pushed them through the gate into Corella Bore. Since everyone had exerted themselves quite a bit we decided that we should stop for lunch. This was an interesting affair. We pulled up under a tree and got out a collapsable table. There were biscuits (cookies), sandwiches, fruit, hot tea and coffee, chips, and vegemite. It was like a full meal out in the bush. This was about the half way point but Pete, Joan, and I were sent down into the Corella Bore paddock to look for any cattle that were down there. We found some and drove them up the fence to the corner of the Black Rocks paddock. There, we met up with the rest of the herd and, all together, we pushed them through the paddock to the house and into the yard for counting and weighing.

Like I said, I was in the Toyota for all this so the view I got was dusty and not too interesting for the reader. Two weeks later we mustered them again and I was upgraded to dirt bike status. This was to prove much more interesting.

ELLEN INTERRUPTION!!!

Ellen here to provide a little insight into what it was like to be on horseback for the muster. The main reasons for the horses here is mustering so they have a pretty good idea about what they are supposed to do which is nice as long as they behave. But of course, they didn't always behave especially the longer we were out there. I was on a horse named Oakey who was known to kick at other horses and to be a bit unruly at times. He never kicked but he did get unruly. When following behind the cattle he really wanted to walk up into the herd instead of hanging out behind, and there were a few times that he did not want to get moving again after stopping. He would almost always do this when Brooke and Allan were around. There was also a moment when he decided he wanted to go for a roll in the dirt which required a really quick dismount from me. I had to give him a kick and a bit of a yell along with the other riders around me for being a bit of an ass. Overall it made for a really nice day of riding around the station.

</Ellen>

The horseback riders went to get the herd on the day that the truck was coming to pick up the ones we had slated for sale. After the first muster we put them in back in the Corella Bore paddock to await transport. On this particular occasion we had a helicopter at our disposal and the pilot, whose name was also Dan leading to a lot of confusion over the radio, told Pete and I that some cows were still hanging out near the troughs in the Cameron Creek paddock. We zipped up there to drive them down to the rest of the herd. There were two cows and a calf when we got there. One of them was a crazy old grey cow that decided that instead of doing what we wanted her to she would, instead, run for the scrub. The chopper pilot told us that they had laid down in there and that he couldn't get them out. We rode the bikes into the scrub and chased them down.

I'm not sure how familiar every one here is with riding a dirt bike through heavy scrub but I can attest that it is a difficult and painful task. If you're not being hit in the face by a turpentine bush then your getting caught on a log or a gidgee tree. We slogged on though, and eventually the grey cow decided that she'd had enough and broke into the clear. We spent the rest of the trip tailing our small herd down to the rendezvous at the gate between the Black Rocks paddock and Corella Bore. This was easier said than done given that that stupid old grey cow made a bolt every time she thought she was in range of a patch of scrub and much of our time was spent chasing her down. Eventually we got her where we wanted her so we stopped under a tree. When the rest of the heard caught up we all pushed them back to the house.

The rest of that day was spent sorting cattle that Allan wanted to sell from those that he wanted to put back in the bush. It was an arduous process given that we had to weigh them all again and it seemed that a rather surly demeanor had settled over the herd. Allan was in the pen with them trying to drive them up to the weight station. Often times they'd run mad and attack him which usually ended up with my boss cursing loudly while quickly climbing a fence.

Eventually we got them all weighed and it was just a question of pushing the ones we wanted to sell on the waiting road train. Again this was easier said than done. The cows were all pretty hot and tired and had no inclination of getting on the truck. To make matters worse, the driver seemed to be a bit of a numb scull and forgot to keep count of how many cows had made it on the truck. I have to give Allan his due, he kept his cool after being attacked by cows all day and we got the truck loaded with relative ease.

That evening Ellen and I sat down and had a beer. As we laid down to watch some T.V. I think I must have fallen asleep before my head even hit the pillow. It was a good day.


Keep on cattle truckin friends!  

Sleepy Bruce is Sleepy

No comments:

Post a Comment